Mellerio dits Meller

The firm started in 1613, founded by the Mellerio family from Valle Vigezzo, under the patronage of Marie de Médicis.

Jean-Baptiste Mellerio (1765-1850) started trading in Versailles in 1777, and attracted the patronage of Queen Marie Antoinette. In 1796, he set up shop on rue Vivienne, Versailles, retaining the patronage of the Empress Josephine.

Francois Mellerio (1772-1843) moved the firm to Paris, initially at 4, rue du Coq Saint-Honoré. In 1815, he moved the workshop to 9, rue de la Paix in Paris, where it remains today. After the restoration of the French monarchy in 1830, Mellerio became suppliers to Queen Marie-Amélie and King Louis-Philippe.

Jean-François Mellerio (1815-1896) opened a branch in Madrid in 1850 from which he supplied customers including Queen Isabella II and the future Empress Eugenie of France.

Mellerio dits Meller is still active today. It claims to be the oldest family company in Europe.[1] It gives its name to the Mellerio cut, a 57-facet jewel cut, shaped as an oval within an ellipse. Today Mellerio is based in rue de la PaixParis, with branches in Luxembourg and Japan. It is a member of the Comité Colbert and also of Les Hénokiens, an international club made up of family companies over 200 years old. Directors François and Olivier Mellerio are the fourteenth generation to run the family business.